Pork Recipe Ideas is an Amazon Associate and may receive compensation for purchases made through affiliate links.
The best creamy Ham and Potato Soup I've ever made is done in 20 minutes. If that shocks you as much as it shocked me, then you've got to try my amazing Ham and Potato Soup Instant Pot Recipe! It's creamy, perfectly savory and so, so easy!
Ham and Potato Soup
When I say "there's nothing like a ham dinner", you should know that what I'm really dreaming of is the leftovers! Even growing up, the aroma of a big holiday ham in the oven brought to mind what would come after: soup, sandwiches, salads; weeks of cozy, comforting meals just waiting to be made.
It wasn't until I was grown up with my own kids that I truly understood the full potential of an easy ham and potato soup! It's so warm, creamy and comforting that it makes even the coldest winter day warmer, and the kids love it.
And now, with the Instant Pot, it's also one of the easiest meals you could ever make! A hearty, delicious ham and potato soup chock full of vegetables, savory ham and luscious cream that you'll be coming back for night after night, all done in 20 minutes- with only one pot to clean. It's a game changer.
Ham and Potato Soup Ingredients
- Chicken broth
- Heavy cream
- Olive oil
- Diced ham
- Salt and pepper
How to Make Ham and Potato Soup
- Set your Instant Pot to Saute mode, and add in 1 tablespoon of olive oil. While it's heating, dice the ham, and chop the vegetables. Then add the ham to the pot, and saute for 1-2 minutes.
- Add in the chopped onions, carrots, celery and minced garlic, and stir frequently until the onions are translucent.
- Pour in the chicken broth and chopped potatoes, stirring to mix.
- Place on and lock the lid, then cook on high pressure for 10 minutes. When the timer is up, use an oven mitt to release the pressure and remove the lid.
- Stirring continuously, slowly pour in the heavy cream.
- Add salt and pepper to taste, and serve!
If you saved the ham bone from your ham, use it to make your own pork bone stock! Just add the bone to a pot with enough water to fully cover it (I suggest 10 cups), and let it simmer for an hour uncovered. Remove the bone, strain the stock, and use it in place of the chicken broth in this recipe!
Potato and Ham Soup Tips
- To ensure a completely creamy texture, mix in the heavy cream slowly. It's one of those little details that can make a big difference!
- Make sure to use a good potato for mashing, like Yukon Gold or Russet. They have a very creamy texture that works perfectly for soups!
- If using a low sodium broth, make sure to add more salt liberally. The potatoes are starchy and soak up a lot of flavor!
Instant Pot Ham and Potato Soup FAQs
The secret to a thick and satisfying potato and ham soup is the potatoes. Using a good quality potato like Yukon Gold or Russet will ensure there's a high starch content, and as excellent mashing potatoes, they easily melt into the soup as it cooks.
Potatoes are perfect for soup, but as starchy and neutral vegetables, they tend to soak up flavor. Use plenty of salt and pepper, and add flavor with good broth, added proteins, and other vegetables. I find onions and leeks perfect.
The natural choice for making a soup creamy is to add cream! Heavy cream is a wonderful an delicious thickener, and you can't beat it for a decadent soup. If you're looking for a dairy-free option, cooking your soup with beans and potatoes will add tons of starches for a creamier soup.
If you're trying to avoid using heavy cream in recipes, replace it with another high-fat option like nondairy milk and coconut oil, or more broth and your favorite nondairy butter. If you just don't have any cream, try milk and butter!
Potato and Ham Soup Variations
- Cheesy Ham and Potato Soup: After the soup is cooked fully, add in a cup of shredded cheddar or pepperjack cheese. You'll love this extra decadent twist!
- Ham Leek and Potato Soup: While sauteing the vegetables, add in 1-2 cups of chopped leek. You can also replace the onions in this recipe with leek if you desire. The soft texture is perfect for this soup!
- Ham Potato and Bacon Soup: Saute 5 strips of chopped bacon before adding the vegetables! Even better, the veggies will cook in the bacon fat, adding tons of delicious flavor to the soup.
Easy Pork Recipes
- Twice-Smoked Ham
- Italian Sausage Lasagna
- Air Fryer Ham
- Bacon Wrapped Potato
- Baked Ham
- Italian Sausage Lasagna
Leftover Ham Recipes
- Old Fashioned Ham Salad
- Ham and Cheese Casserole
- Ham and Cheese Quiche
- Ham and Cheese Sliders
- Ham and Bean Soup
Did you enjoy this recipe? Try more of my best pork recipes, and leave a comment and rating below! We love to hear from you.
Save the Pin! 📍Did you enjoy this recipe? Share it on Pinterest!
Creamy Ham and Potato Soup
- 6 cups Chicken broth
- 7 medium Potatoes Yukon Gold or Russet, chunked
- 1 Onion White or yellow, chopped
- 1 cup Heavy cream
- 1 Tablespoon Olive oil
- 2 cups Ham diced
- 2 Carrots chopped
- 2 Celery sticks chopped
- 2 Tablespoons Garlic minced
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Set your Instant Pot to Saute mode, and add in 1 tablespoon of olive oil. While it's heating, dice the ham, and chop the vegetables. Add the ham to the pot, and saute for 1-2 minutes.1 Tablespoon Olive oil
- Add in the chopped onions, carrots, celery and minced garlic, and stir frequently until the onions are translucent.1 Onion, 2 Carrots, 2 Celery sticks, 2 Tablespoons Garlic
- Pour in the chicken broth and chopped potatoes, stirring to mix.6 cups Chicken broth, 7 medium Potatoes
- Place on and lock the lid, then cook on high pressure for 10 minutes. Using an oven mitt, release the pressure and remove the lid.
- Stirring continuously, slowly pour in the heavy cream.1 cup Heavy cream
- Add salt and pepper to taste, and serve!Salt and pepper